The Fatal Five: A quintuple of quirks that make logos losers
The logo is the star of your company’s identity program. It has some big goals to achieve. It should be a visual symbol that encapsulates the brand experience—reinforcing the memory of your mojo.
Your logo should build an expectation of what it feels like to do business with your organization. It’s a magnet to help the right client be attracted to your company. Developing a strong logo is an investment and commitment to supporting your brand.
These areas are where you can avoid the five fatal faux pas when developing your visual identity:
- Commitment: Don’t disregard your logo as just another pretty face. Your logo is the visual that locks your company name and experience in a prospect’s mind. Take its development, care and feeding (brand stewardship) seriously.
- Price: Don’t go all K-mart. Everyone likes a bargain, but choose your logo developer on value and competence not just because he/she is the cheapest alternative. Cheap can get very expensive when it comes to your corporate identity.
- Professionalism: Unless you are trained and talented in logo design, this is not the place to let your DIY skills shine. When your logo is amateurish, people assume your company is, too. Slapping clip art next to some font does not a professional logo make.
- Functionality: Don’t forsake usability. A professional logo should look good and work properly in various media. The identity package needs to include file and color formats suitable for all potential uses—scalable vectors, web-ready and commercial print. It should include options to be used on light or dark backgrounds.
- Appropriateness: Don’t forget whom it’s for. A successful logo appeals to the target audience. It will set the tone for what it feels like to do business with your organization. It aligns with your brand personality.
If you avoid these pitfalls, you won’t be shamed by a loser logo. Your business will benefit from a logo that distinguishes your company, sets an expectation of your brand personality, works where you need it and that you are proud to bandy about on your signage, business cards and web site.
Just Right: Using sense to guide your branding dollars
ALLE is a catalyst inspiring leaders to elevate their brand.
Want to comment or suggest a topic? Send me an email.
© 2016 ALLE Inc. All rights reserved.
ALLE branding marketing design, 1302 Waugh Drive. PMB140, Houston, TX 77019