Why Me? Identifying your differentiators
There are probably dozens of times in the last month when you’ve thought “Why me?” such as:
- You’re on the airplane and the person behind you is endlessly kicking your seat back.
- You’re late for a meeting and get stuck at a train crossing.
- You get in the short line only to discover it’s really the slow line, the really, really slow line.
But, the most important time to ask “Why me?” is when you are thinking about your customers and prospective clients. Understanding why current customers do
choose you over other options will help you identify and use that secret sauce to keep client relationships strong and to attract new customers. The challenge is most of us don’t see the forest for the trees. We are certain it’s one thing; however, you may discover happy customers come to you—and stay loyal to you—for a different reason.
So, how do you get a clear picture of what sets you apart?
- Ask: Use a follow-up testimonial or independent third party survey with carefully crafted questions to find out what you do better or differently from your competitors that your clients notice and appreciate.
- Audit: Use a brand consultant to examine the experience your business delivers to its customers. Map out where the strengths and weaknesses are.
- Identify the why: Discover why customers emotionally connect with your brand. It may be the positive attitude of your employees. It may be the cleanliness of your facility. It may be your clear communication. Knowing why all things are not equal when you compete against organizations with very similar deliverables will help you strengthen the brand experience.
- Don’t assume: What you think may be moving the needle for customers may not be accurate. Extolling the virtues and wonderful features of your product or service is fine, but don’t forget to include the softer benefits. Often it’s the how not just the what that makes the difference.
- Do Make it personal: The larger your organization, the more challenging it becomes to inject a personal touch. Discover where you are responsive and provide personal interaction. Enhance those opportunities to fortify the relationship with customers and keep the brand experience personal. Put a face on it: People do business with other people, not faceless corporate entities.
Gaining clarity about why customers choose you when they have other alternatives is key to keeping your brand reputation strong. Showcasing your differences helps your ideal clients choose your company.
What’s New? Keeping your customers close
ALLE is a catalyst inspiring leaders to elevate their brand.
Want to comment or suggest a topic? Send me an email.
© 2016 ALLE Inc. All rights reserved.
ALLE branding marketing design, 1302 Waugh Drive. PMB140, Houston, TX 77019